Sunday, October 24, 2010

Take Time for YOU

This morning while in the middle of making breakfast I got a text from my bf jokingly asking what I was cooking for breakfast and could she get a plate. I replied that I was actually in the middle of cooking toast, turkey sausage, eggs and hash browns and asked if she wanted some. After an exchange of a few more text she asked who I was cooking for knowing my kids were with their father this weekend. I happily replied that I was cooking for myself! I had gotten up this morning and decided to appreciate and be good to me and not feel guilty about it!

As a single mom, I am kept very busy doing this and that while running here and there constantly primarily for my kids. I wear so many hats like most other women that on any given day I am at least three different things that include but are not limited to mother, counselor, chauffer, housekeeper, juggler, magician, lover, and all around super hero. I am not complaining, (though on some days I do) so much as I am trying to make a point. I am constantly doing, but rarely is the doing for me. I have the feeling I am not alone and that the majority of women whether single parents or not are caught in the perpetual cycle of do do do, forgetting to take time out for them.

This is not good. As strong as we are and let me tell you we are some strong, we all need some down time, some me time, some self appreciation time. This time is all too important, not just for us, but for the ones we love so much that we are willing to run ourselves into the ground for to make sure they have everything they need. In order for us to be the best we can be, we need to learn to be a little bit selfish with our time and do something that is only me related. Down time away from the kids, spouse, lover, and dog if for a few hours or a few days on a regular basis are essential to our health and wellness. Not to mention the good it will do for our loved ones. If you need to hear that you will not be a bad mother if you insist on taking time for yourself, then I am saying so now, you will not be. In fact quite the opposite will be true, because by doing so you are making yourself more available to them because you will be kinder, more patient and present to them.

I know that we are all taught not to be selfish and being a woman by in large requires great amounts of selflessness but I am talking about the exception to the rule here. What real good are we to anyone if we are run down both mentally and physically? From my own personal experience, I know not much good at all. In order for us to be the most, useful, effective, and productive women for our planet, we must remember to care for and appreciate ourselves! Go away now if only for a little while and DO YOU!

Best of Everything,

Deonae


 

No comments:

Post a Comment