Sunday, July 4, 2010

How does she develop?

I want to talk about an issue that is near and dear to my heart, my daughter. I have two children an eleven year old son and a thirteen year old daughter who are a stark contrast to each other personality wise. While I have what I consider to be normal parental concerns for them both of them, when it comes to my daughter who is every bit of a teenager my concerns go a bit deeper.
I am a keep it real parent and tell the truth about what I see from my children behaviorally, so it comes as no surprise to me when certain things are said about my children, because I know them well. That being said, I have a beautiful daughter who doesn’t always behave in a like manner. She does not always display the most likeable characteristics when dealing with other people and it raises a constant issue, not only with me, but also with others. She is age appropriately self-centered, but in the spirit of keeping it real she does extra with it! So, at the park yesterday, she became the topic of conversation and on some of what was said, I had to agree, but it was the spirit of the conversation that I had an issue with and not just for my child, but for every young woman who is in the process of development.
There are a countless number of reasons why my child and so many like her behave in the manner in which they do, none of which excuses their behavior entirely, but some of them do call for us as women to take close examination. The one issue I am choosing to examine today is the examples the young ladies are seeing in front of them. I am not talking only about the public images, but I am including those who are near and dear, the ones who have been given direct charge to them. My daughter and other young girls are receiving mixed messages. We are saying to them be this, do that, and act like this, when we are not being, doing, and acting in the same fashion. We cannot expect for them to be and do what we are ourselves unwilling to do. These developing young ladies are crying out for help in a time of immense confusion and in return getting from the ones who are to guide them, more confusion. It is time for the women of the world to take an honest look at ourselves for the answer as to why and how our young ladies are the way they are.
Not only should we examine ourselves, but is it not our responsibility to correct the behaviors we see that are not becoming in the young women? I do not mean that we should jump down their throats, but shouldn’t we use the same compassion and consideration with them that our mothers did or that we wish she would have used with us. Is it not the right thing for us to say I see this persona you are trying on and it is not the best look, so let’s try something else? Don’t our girls deserve that? Haven’t we had enough of being nasty and rude with each other; do we honestly believe that the best way to get through to a young lady who is displaying unbecoming traits is to act in the same fashion toward her and expect a different result in our next interaction with her? I believe in all honesty, that in order to change her (the young lady) is to heal us. I need your help in raising the kind of woman we would all be proud of, so please I ask that you remember that she (all of them) are fragile and still developing and that what you say and do matter a lot to them and will have a lasting and profound effect upon them.

Lovingly,
Deonae

No comments:

Post a Comment